Coconut Shrimp with Nuts and Panko
Coconut Shrimp Recipe Ingredients
* 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut shopping list
* 1/3 cup blanched almonds, ground. Obviously, you're not limited to almonds -- if you like pecans, then used ground pecans. If you're partial to walnuts, then use walnuts. shopping list
* 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs. Don't use regular bread crumbs -- they soak up too much oil and don't give you the light texture you're looking for. panko is generally available, either in a decent grocery store or in an Asian market. Make the effort -- it's really key to making this dish. shopping list
* 1 cup all purpose flour shopping list
* 2 beaten eggs shopping list
* 1/4 teaspoon salt shopping list
* 1 lb medium (31-40 count) shrimp, shelled shopping list
* oil for deep frying
Coconut Shrimp Recipe Instructions :
* Combine the coconut, ground nuts, and Panko and spread on a large plate.
* Place the seasoned flour and eggs in separate bowls.
* Heat the oil in a sauce pan to a temperature of 360 degrees
* Dredge each shrimp with flour and shake off the excess.
* Dip the floured shrimp in beaten egg.
* Then place the shrimp on the plate with the coconut, crumbs, and Panko and make certain it's complete coated.
* Drop the coated shrimp carefully into the hot oil and fry until they are golden brown. Don't overcook the shrimp -- the deep frying process should only take a minute or two.
* Drain on paper towels.
* Your oil has to be really hot -- otherwise, you're going to end up with soggy, gummy shrimp (not good). You should be able to go from cracking the eggs and measuring out the coconut to serving the shrimp in about fifteen minutes.
* Serve with your own dipping sauce ..enjoy it !